- This event has passed.
Chiricahua Mountains – Mormon Ridge/Mormon Canyon – Trail Restoration
April 14 @ 9:00 am - April 15 @ 3:00 pmFree
This trail maintenance project will focus on the Mormon Canyon and Mormon Ridge trails in the Chiricahua Mountains. As of last summer the trails had intermittent deadfall and tread issues near the drainage bottom. The Ridge trail mostly needs brushing and crosscut work, with some solid stretches that don’t need much work between the problem areas.
Participants should be in moderate condition and capable of hiking on maintained FS trails carrying tools, equipment, and personal supplies throughout the day.
All necessary training regarding tools and their use will be given at the event. Car- Camping on Saturday night will be either at the sycamore Campground or dispersed campgrounds if necessary. Please bring 4-6 liters of water per day. I will have some containers available for those needing to refill there containers. Participants will be required to wear closed toed shoes, eye protection, and long pants, during work activities. Gloves, hard-hats, and tools will be provided.
· Day Pack to carry supplies on day hike (water, food, camera, etc.)
· Water — 4-6 liters/day.
· Food — Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.
· Sturdy, closed-toe shoes (NO SANDALS). Under our volunteer agreement with the Forest Service, you must wear closed-toe shoes or you will not be able to join us.
· Appropriate clothing. Warm layers for the evening. See weather link for Sycamore Canyon Campground to plan appropriately. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-109.40084609691985&lat=31.82057704067074#.WsU7L0xFxPY
· Sun protection (sun screen, sunglasses, hat, etc.)
· Camping equipment: sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent/shelter, flashlight (batteries), plate/bowl, utensils, toiletries/toothbrush, first aid kit, other?
· Hiking pole(s) or stick
Rendezvous and camping location will be at Sycamore Campground ( I will arrive by Friday afternoon and be in a 2017 Toyota Tundra – white with a trailer) –
Google map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sycamoreemail@example.com,-109.3366534,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x86d9e890496535b1:0x6278f212e9a14e25!8m2!3d31.8591976!4d-109.3344647
Lat and long: 31.85961 -109.33473